Thursday, May 29, 2008

Paul and Lee are Back!



Paul and I made it back to America. We flew out of Dar at 11:00pm last Thursday and flew into Miami on Friday night. I slept well on the plane, Paul wasn't quite as lucky. Erin and Goat drove us to Gainesville that night and we arrived at about 3am. The cookies and milk was a wonderful snack, thanks Mrs. Benton. I want to thank all of you who came to the welcome home party. It was so excited to see all your faces and here about what is going on on this side of the earth.
I am definitely going to miss Tanzania. I can't wait to get another opportunity to serve over there again. All the kids are amazing. They have a heart full of faith, love, discipline and hope. It was incredible hearing the stories and lives of my new friends. One of my friends, Dennis, took me aside the day before I left to tell me his heart wrenching story, and afterwards he told me not to forget him. I don't think I could forget him or any of them for that matter. Each one of them made such a huge impact on me that I really don't know how to express my thanks.
They are "watoto wa Mungu" (Children of God). They lived it out like no one I have ever seen. It was so beautiful and genuine. I couldn't help but see that God sees me as His child and cares for me as much as he cares for all of his children. God used the my friends in Tanzania to show me what my relationship with God was supposed to look like. So incredibly awesome. It is kind of hard to explain, you really just have to experience it to know what I am talking about.
Let me recap what we did while we were there. After we got acclimated to the time change, culture, schedule of the day, we planned out what we wanted to do and what the next steps were for the Center. We came up with some objectives and goals for our time. Hezekia has such a huge vision for this place and there is so many things that need to happen. It was fun trying to figure out what would work and what was reasonable.
While we were in the city our goals were to:
-Teach the staff computer programs
-Quicken: to keep the budget and finances in order (Joan and Ima now use it)
-CD label and design: for the new CDs and DVDs that they are producing (Ima is theman)
-and basic how to use a computer efficiently
-Interact with the kids to improve their English: we taught them songs and played
games and just hung out with them. awesome!
-teach some of the students computer skills (Kasimu and Omary know how to type
-Share ideas with the staff and students
-build bunks for the new compound (2 were built, more still needed)
-tables for new compound (2 were built, more still needed)
while at the shamba:
-Teach math class
-Teach English class (we focused a lot on writing and grammar)
-work in the garden
-learn to cook Chapate and mandazi
-Teach informally outside of class by just talking in English.
-Teach guitar
-find and purchase and transport material to Shamba
-teachers cottage
-plaster(finished)
-flooring (we filled it with sand and the flooring will go in soon)
-ceiling board (we have the material but not enough time)
-Painting (didn't get that far)
-build bunk beds(2 were complete and 6 more almost ready for assembly)
-classrooms
-electrical wiring put in (complete)
-ceiling board frames (complete)
-ceiling board (we have the material but not enough time)
-Guest house (two bedroom/two bathroom)
-foundation (complete)
-walls (complete)
-roof (complete)
-plaster (complete)
-flooring (we filled it with sand and the cement was to be put in soon after we left)

It was so incredible. Working, studying, and just hanging out with the kids was by far my favorite part of my time there. I want to thank you all for you help in supporting this kids.
We are raising money for the irrigation system through these shirts that rosaloves.com designed and is now selling. So if you want a sweet shirt for an awesome cause go to their website.
Love you guys,

Lee

2 comments:

Aunt A said...

Hi there - nice to read your blogs & know you are having a great adventure.

Your mom was pleased to get the hand-delivered letter from you.

Stay well. Love.

Aunt A said...

That last note was for Scott R!