Thursday, May 22, 2008

Beginnings and Endings.

Hello again friends and family.

Scott from Tanzania here. The past week has been wonderful. We've been at the shamba and the weather has been, dare I say it, cool at times. I woke up with a chill on at least two different mornings. The shamba is doing amazing. The guest house is going up so quickly. It may be done in the next two weeks- we'll see. Everyone has been healthy save for the few stomach-aches. Getting used to the oily food here has been difficult for me.

However, the one delicacy that I have come to love is Passionfruit juice, which can be bought by the glass for 30 cents at a bar about two minutes from the city center. It comes cool and bright orange in a tall glass mug with a plastic bendy-straw. I've only had it twice, but I savor it each time. So refreshing. You can feel it resting in your stomach and cooling your innards for at least an hour after consumption. Nothing quite like it.

Sadly, Lee and Paul are leaving for the States tonight. Their flight is at 10:50pm. Everyone is really sad to have them leave, including me. They've had an amazing time here in Tanzania, and it's really cool to see how much they have come to know the students and teachers here. On Tusesday morning at the Shamba, the students gave them a royal farewell complete with songs, speeches, and special prayers. It was very heartfelt.

Evy and Alex from Orlando (UCF) arrived safely in Dar last week and will be working hard on the art program for the next four weeks. We're going to do batik and tie-dye with the students at the shamba.

Chris and I are returning to the Shamba tomorrow. On Saturday I will start filming the drama that the students have created. I'm used to droll high school dramas in the USA, but this one is amazing. They get reallly into it. Hopefully I'll be able to load a preview in the next few weeks, we'll see.

I want to thank everyone for your prayers and kind thoughts. I am out of time on the computer, so I'll update in a week or two.

Love love love,
Scott!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you're making such amazing memories not only for yourself, but the people that you help and the kids that you meet! :)

Love ya little brother,
Shane

Dave said...

Thanks for the update Scott. Sounds like you are experiencing a lifetime of memories at every moment. Keep it up, Everyone here is thinking about you daily especially your mom and me. I anxiuosly await some pictures of what you are seeing. Keep safe and stay yourself.

Love you, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hello Scott! Enjoyed reading about your adventures. Glad to hear you made the trip without too many problems. That Passionfruit juice sounds tasty and quite the bargain! Looking forward to viewing your photos and/or video. Keep up the good work!
Love - Uncle Dale, Aunt Melinda, Alan and Sarena

Anonymous said...

hey scott, everyone at ccc (all 8 interns and me and dustin) wish you well in tanzania. we continue to think about you and pray for you. all the best. -ericson